The Tastiest Veggie Stew
If your going down the meal prep road, first of all- fair play! It’s a great way to stay on track and a certain way to succeed in your 2016 food goals. To keep this up long term? Needs serious creativity when it comes to spices, herbs and combining flavours!
This recipe is great to prep this as your vegetable portion for meals or simply prepped on a bed of quinoa.
Cooks in 60 Minutes
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 red onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic diced finely
- 2 large sticks of celery sliced
- 1 large butternut squash cut into 2cm pieces
- tbsp. cumin seeds or ground
- 1 courgette sliced and quartered
- 500ml vegetable stock (opt for low sodium)
- 5 large tomatoes (on the vine if possible)
- 150g frozen peas
- 10g parsley leaves to garnish
- First prep the tomatoes, dice two into 1” chunks, with the other 3 tomatoes place them in a food processor or nutribullet and puree into a smooth liquid (it may turn pinkish in color- that’s ok).
- Place the coconut oil into a large pot over medium heat, once melted add in the onion giving a quick stir, place the lid on and sweat the onion for 6 minutes until almost tender.
- Toss in the garlic, cumin, celery and cook for a moment or two.
- Next add the butternut, cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock, adding the courgette, chopped tomato and tomato puree.
- Turning the heat up and bring to boil for 4-5 minutes before turning the heat low and allowing the stew to simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Finally, Season with some freshly chopped parsley.