Meringue Served with Coconut Yogurt & Fresh Berries!
Like sweet puffs of air meringues are the ideal summer dessert, pretty low in calories they are actually a nice alternative if your craving something sweet and satisfying!
The only down side to this recipe is the time….. they do like to take their time baking, 2 hours in fact! Growing up we had an Aga, which are actually perfect for making meringues but seriously it felt like waiting for summer in I Ireland … forever! But don’t let that turn you off this, choose a day you will be at home for a few hours, a weekend treat! I’ve used stevia for this recipe so is a very low calorie dessert, you can also opt for greek yogurt instead of coconut!
FOLLOW THE RECIPE PRECISELY, meringues are not one of those recipes you can wing!
Cooks in Minutes
- 5 egg whites
- 3 level tbsp powdered stevia – I used Dr.Coys
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 level tbsp arrowroot powder
- Coconut yogurt or greek yogurt
- 125G Fresh berries
- 25g Toasted pistachio
- Fresh chopped mint – optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place the egg whites, arrowroot and cider in a mixing bowl and whisk until the eggs whites form soft peaks.
- Add the stevia 1 tbsp at a time while whisking. Keep whisking until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Prepare the baking trays with greaseproof paper, you can simple spoon freeform (making small wells) onto the trays or pipe the meringue mixture to form nests.
- Turn the oven down to 100°C
- Place in the meringues and let bake for 2 hours. No peaking, it will just dropping the temperature every time you do!
- Turn off the oven and let them sit for a further 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove and carefully lift from the sheet, using a spatula if needed.
- Spoon in the yogurt and garnish with fresh berries and toasted nuts.