Caramel Centred Chocolate Muffins with Creamy Cacao Frosting
These ‘Rolo’ like buns are awesome a serious must for any chocolate fans! Very simple all in one mixes yet very impressive looking, a great summer treat for any guests popping around, no-one will ever believe you that they are healthy, Paleo & Gluten – free! The bun tray I used had inserted separators for fillings, I picked it up in the 2 euro shop * run and buy NOW.
*note; if making the buns in advance wait to spread on the frosting as the avocado only lasts 24 hours.
Cooks in Minutes
- 200g Ground Almonds
- 3 eggs
- tsp baking powder( gluten free)
- Vanilla essence
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey/ maple
- 3 level tbsp coconut oil- melted
- 200g medjool dates
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- Vanilla essence
- Pinch sea salt.
(you will have a little caramel left over, store in a jar in the fridge – it’s delicious on pancakes)
- 2 avocados
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nut butter – I used almond
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Place all the bun ingredients in a bowl and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour evenly into the tray, Bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave aside to cool.
- Place your medjool dates into a food processor and blend until smooth, it will be like a thick dough.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and blend until a smooth paste forms, it should be golden in colour, with no traces of dates.
- If you don’t have a fancy bun tray like mine, using a knife or an apple corer remove some of the middle section of bun – from the top, roughly cut ( square or circle) 1 inch in diameter and half way deep through the bun.
- Spoon in enough caramel to fill the “gap”.
- For the chocolate frosting, mash the avocados, place in a food processor or nutribullet and blend with the rest of the ingredients, you may need to stop it 1-2 times to mix it yourself using a spoon to make sure there are no traces of avocado (cause that would just ruin the surprise) .
- Using a knife spread on the frosting.