Black Bean Burgers
These are the perfect burgers to get you in the mood for that summer feeling, perfect on the BBQ grill or baked in the oven as meal prep, you’ll never look back once you make them. They’ve got a delicious crunchy outside with a tender smooth inside… drool! I love mine served as a double burger or simple in a gem lettuce bun with some hummus for a tasty quick lunch. They taste great both hot and cold and they also suitable for freezing, once made they last up to 4 days in the fridge. Watch my YouTube video here to show you how to make these.
Cooks in 30 Minutes
- 1 tin black tins rinsed and drained
- ½ red or brown onion (cut into sections)
- 1 small garlic clove peeled and grated
- 1 sweet red pepper ( stem and seeds removed) cut in half
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tbsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce or tamari
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp. chia seeds combined with 3 tbsp. water soaked for 15 minutes)
- 100g uncooked quinoa
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a food processor start by blending the quinoa into a flour like texture and tip into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the onion, grated garlic, tomato paste, soya, spices and sweet red pepper into the food processor and blend for a few seconds until the onion and red pepper is blended into small chunks.
- Tip in the black beans and blend until they are mostly blended with only a few visible beans left and combined well into the onion, peppers and paste.
- Spoon this mix into the mixing bowl along with the quinoa and chia egg, mix together well.
- The burger mix shouldn’t be too wet nor dry and easily to mould with your hands.
- Make 4 burgers and place onto a lined baking tray.
- Place in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.