Creamy Tofu Broccoli Bake
One of the biggest hits on the blog is my chicken and broccoli bake and since I have gone more plant based in the past year I needed to make a vegan version! The best thing about this recipe is the white sauce – you can use this base for so many different recipes that require a béchamel style cheesy sauce. This recipe is super easy to make just see here. You can also make this recipe your own by opting for slightly different ingredients. If you’re not a fan of tofu, why not use tempeh or vegan sausages? You can swap the broccoli for cauliflower or sweet potato too. And if you want, change the quinoa for oats or ground nuts however, in my opinion the quinoa gives the best topping result!
Cooks in 40 Minutes
- 400g broccoli washed and cut into florets
- 500g Tofu diced into small chunks
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 4 tbsp. oat flour (buckwheat & chickpea flour work also)
- 4-5 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 500ml almond milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. soya or tamari
- 125g cooked quinoa
- Start by steaming your broccoli. You want the broccoli to be a little tender and not mushy or falling apart. This should take approx. 10-12 minutes. Once ready remove from the heat and set to one side.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the coconut oil. Once the oil is melted, spoon in the oat flour and stir into a paste. Cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Turn the heat up and add the almond milk, a small bit at a time (about 100ml at a time) stir and wait for the sauce to thicken before adding the next bit of milk and continue until the 500ml is used (this will take 5 min approx.) (if you still have lumps in the sauce you can use a sieve to remove the lumps from the sauce). The sauce should be smooth and thick. Stir in the seasoning and nutritional yeast, soya/tamari and Dijon and cook for a minute before removing from the heat and stirring in the steamed broccoli and tofu.
- Spoon this mix into a pie dish and sprinkle over the cooked quinoa evenly.
- Place in the oven with a top grill setting for 12 minutes at 200°C.