Perhaps the most perfect snack that ever did exist is the protein ball, bliss ball, raw ball whatever you call them they really are all the same thing! I used to use protein powders a lot in my ball recipes but lately have opted for the natural protein hit from nuts, beans, chickpeas and seeds with the odd whey scoop however no powders were used in the making of any of these so you can relax and stop worrying about which is the best brand to buy! I forever get emails about which brands I use and to be honest I use them only for when I’m after a training session and can’t get food in straight away or when I’m craving something sweet and don’t have time to bake.
JAFFA BALLS – left of centre with orange zest on top. Makes 10.
- 200g almonds
- 7 Medjool dates – (available in Tesco, Dunnes,Aldi,Lidl, Supervalu and all health stores)
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- Juice and zest of a small orange – Save a little zest for decoration
- *Optional 20g dark chocolate for topping
- Blend all together.
- Roll into balls.
- Pop in the freezer/fridge for a couple of minutes to let hearken a little before decorating.
- Melt the dark chocolate and dip the top of the ball into it and spindle on some zest. Place back in the fridge.
- Keep refrigerated- Lasts 7 Days
BANOFFI BALLS – Centre plate with banana chips on top.Makes 10.
- 200 g toasted almonds
- 1/2 cup banana chips (try get unsweetened and unsulphurated – so opt buying these in a health store
- tsp banana essence – check out the asian market or big shopping stores/baking stores
- 8 Medjool dates
- 1.1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp maple
*All of these ingredients I bought in the asian market for extremely cheap and I wasn’t even buying in bulk! My Local one is Drury st, they are great places to fins all these healthy ingredients at low cost!
- Once again blend all ingredients!
- Topped – a banana chip held in place by a little blob of melted dark chocolate
NUTELLA BALLS – edge of ether side. Makes 11.
- 100g hazelnuts
- 125g almonds
- 2 tbsp maple
- 35g dark choc
- 3 medjool dates
- Melt the chocolate, mix all ingredients together, roll into balls and let sit in fridge/freezer until hard.
- Dip in a little dark chocolate and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
Pina Colada – right of centre. 8 balls.
- 150g cashews
- 100g dessicant coconut
- 70g dried pineapple
- Combine all ingredients in food processor.