Summer Flex Bowl
It’s that time again to #flexyourmussels! I have teamed up with Bord Bia again this year to bring you some simple, tasty recipes featuring Irish mussels. Have you ever cooked mussels? They’re a favourite of mine to get when I’m out for dinner (which I highly recommend in a good fish restaurant) but cooking them couldn’t be easier – they’re high in protein, iron, great value and easy to prepare! This recipe is just one way you can add them into a delicious salad bowl perfect for a summers evening. There are tonnes of recipes over on the Bord Bia website featuring mussels so if this one doesn’t tickle your fancy check out some more here.
This recipe is in collaboration with Bord Bia.
Cooks in 20 Minutes
- 500g mussels
- 1 avocado skin removed and diced
- 1 tin chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 small cucumber washed
- 4 large vine tomatoes washed
- 1 small bunch of fresh dill chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. parsley chopped finely
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or flax/hemp oil
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of sliced almonds or chopped nuts of choice
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch ground pepper
- Start by chopping the tomatoes into small pieces, likewise with the cucumber.
- In a large mixing bowl add the tomato, cucumber, chickpeas and avocado.
- Next, prepare the mussels by washing them thoroughly under the tap.
- Pop them into a large pot and fill with water half way, place on the lid and bring to boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and remove the mussel meat and place into the mixing bowl.
- Discard the shells.
- Squeeze the lime juice into the mixing bowl, along with adding the oil, salt, pepper and the herbs – using a spoon combine the ingredients.
- Serve into two bowls, finish with a sprinkle of chopped nuts.