Spiced Maple & Almond Popcorn
Popcorn is my favourite snack, and this sweet, spiced & crunchy recipe is a festive twist on my favourite ‘go to nibble’. I always make my own popcorn, it is so simple and much healthier, using coconut oil to pop the kernels it adds an extra sweetness and flavour.
VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, REFINED SUGAR FREE<
Cooks in Minutes
- 3 cups popcorn kernals- available in most stores
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp maple
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 40g whole almonds roughly halved.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the coconut oil over med- high heat allowing to melt fully before adding in the popcorn kernels.
- Place the lid on and start the pop, the popping should begin immediately keep covered until the pops begin to slow. Remove from heat and toss the fresh popcorn onto a lined baking tray spreading evenly along with the almonds. (If there are some kernels left un-popped , place them back in the saucepan with a little more coconut oil and repeat process).
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the maple, vanilla, spices and coconut sugar, stirring continuously until it begins to thicken and the coconut sugar has almost dissolved. The maple mix will begin to bubble, cook for a further 3 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Using a spoon drizzle over the maple caramel on to the popcorn & almond mix, ensuring you don’t miss any.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, remove and let cool fully before enjoying this perfect treat!