Spiced Chicken Legs
Chicken legs are really inexpensive, making this a great low-cost meal that’s healthy to boot.
Cooks in Minutes
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 6 chicken legs or drumsticks or a mix of both
- 2 bay leaves
- garlic ‘mayo’, to serve
- Heat a heavy-based, dry frying pan over a high heat. Add the coriander seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick and toast for 2–3 minutes, until the spices are fragrant and start to crackle. Remove the cinnamon stick, then tip the coriander seeds and cloves into a pestle and mortar and crush to a fine powder. Mix with the paprika, freshly ground black pepper, turmeric and chilli powder, then work in the rapeseed oil to form a paste.
- Place the natural yoghurt in a large bowl and whisk in the spice paste. Place the chicken legs in the bowl and rub the yoghurt marinade into them, then add the cinnamon stick and the bay leaves.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate overnight if possible – the longer, the better.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Tip the chicken legs, marinade and all, onto a baking tray. Cook for 35–40 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked through.
- Serve with a dollop of garlic ‘mayo’.