Simple Spiced Pumpkin Soup
With the month that’s in it I couldn’t avoid doing a pumpkin soup, luckily its one of my favourite soups to make! This one is very clean, no added creams or anything that just doesn’t need to be there! Soups are meant to be healthy, unfortunately its rare to find one without the added salt, sugar, cream etc( have a look at the label when buying soup the next time even in some of our favourite wholesome cafes they still manage to sneak in some big NO NOs) The safest option is to make it yourself! I had intended on adding coconut milk or creamed coconut but it really didn’t need it after it was pureed, its naturally thick, and sweet, which the mixed spices balance out just perfectly.
Serves 4 small bowls
Cooks in Minutes
- 2 small Pumpkins – deseeded and using a spoon scoop the flesh out from the rind.
- 1 large brown onion peeled and chopped.
- 1 tbsp oil – coconut or rapeseed
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon or good quality vegetable stock – I used Dr.Coys
***DONT TOSS AWAY THE PUMPKIN SEEDS- USE THEM TO GARNISH
- In a large saucepan pour in the oil & sautée the onion & garlic until browned and a little burnt.
- Add in the cumin & mixed spice, stir to release the flavours.
- Next, add in your pumpkin flesh stirring to avoid any sticking to the bottom, let it cook for 3 minutes like this.
- Toss in the chopped sweet potato and 2 cups of water (with bouillon or stock), bring to boil and then let simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes have softened.
- Using a powerful blender, cream soup until completely smooth. I used a Thermomix on a high setting for about 2 minutes, so really give this a lot of attention, it should be a smooth & thick soup.
- With the pumpkin seeds, toast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes with smoked paprika or a spice of your fancy. Sprinkle on your soup for a delicious crunch.