Simple Creamy Curry
This is such a creamy satisfying curry dish, using cashew butter as the base this dish is super filling and rich! I roast the veggies separately to add a bit of crunch amongst the creamy sauce. You can add whatever veggies you like or left overs from dinner the night before! I have given a homemade curry powder recipe but realize sometimes after a long days work things just have to be a little bit easier and quick, so invest in a good quality curry powder!
Serves 4 big helpings!
Cooks in Minutes
- 1 large brown onion sliced
- tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1” grated ginger
- 2 tbsp curry powder OR HOMEMADE SPICE MIX (BELOW)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 350ml water
- 4 tbsp cashew butter available in most supermarket and health food stores
Veggie, fruit mix ADD INS
- 1 head Cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cubed (1 cm)
- 2 courgette – spiralized or sliced into half moons
- 2 red peppers sliced thinly
- Optional- 1/2 pineapple diced into bite size chunks
- 15g chopped fresh coriander
- 40g toasted cashews or flaked almonds
Curry spice mix INGREDIENTS
- 2 TSP CORIANDER powder or seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds or powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder or tsp seeds
- tsp cayenne powder- if you want a kick to it!
- Tsp fenugreek
- 3 cloves
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Start by roasted your veggies first
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Spread the butternut squash out evenly on a baking tray with a drizzle of oil and sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until tender.
- Likewise with the cauliflower florets spread evenly on a tray(even the same tray as butternut and roast for 30 minutes.
- You can flash fry the red pepper and spiralized courgette if you don’t fancy having them raw, simple pan fry with a little coconut oil for 4-5 minutes until they have wilted a little – try to keep some crunch!
- For the curry sauce, Start by sweating down the onion. Place a small dollop of coconut oil into a large saucepan over medium-low heat , toss in the onion giving them a good stir. Place the lid on top for roughly 7-8 minutes until soft. Add in the garlic and ginger cooking for a further 2-3 minutes. Rising the temperature to medium Stir in the curry spice combining it with the onions. Pour in the water and gentle bring to a simmer for a minute or two. Remove from the heat and transfer to a nutribullet or food processor along with the cashew butter and blend until smooth.
- Return the creamy thick sauce to the saucepan ( over very low heat) and stir in the coconut milk. The Curry sauce will begin to thicken up over gentle heat, keeping stirring for 4-5 mintutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve over the vegetables or simply stir in the roasted veggies.
Curry spice mix METHOD
- Dry roast the seeds in a frying pan for 2-3 minutes until they begin the release their fragrances and pop.
- Transfer to a pestle and mortar along with the other spices and grind into a fine powder. (omit the cinnamon stick )