Rhubarb Crumble Tart
Rhubarb has just come back into season so I have robbed some from my mums garden and will be giving lots of ideas on how to use rhubarb to its fullest! Theres a reason I have given a few different options for sweeteners and oils as its really down to your preference, I have tried using all and the overall difference is minimal its really whats available to you and whats already in the kitchen press! I had some stew left over and it was amazing as a porridge topping, so make sure you save a little!
Cooks in Minutes
- 300g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp grass fed butter/palm shortening/vegan butter
- tbsp tapioca flour- available in asian market, health food stores and some baking sections of supermarkets – its not 100 % needed but it definitely gives a better texture
- 1 tbsp honey/maple
- 6 medium stalks of ruhbarb
- 2 inch thumb of grated ginger
- 1 orange
- 3-4 tbsp honey/maple/coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour* optional too thicken mix or chia seeds
- 1 vanilla pod seeds/or tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground almond
- 50 g ground almond
- 50g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil/grass fed butter/palm shortening
- 2 tbsp melted honey/maple/coconut sugar
(combine all ingredients using hands)
- Preheat Oven 180°C
- In a food processor place all the pastry ingredients and mix until a smooth dough forms. Flatten and press dough down into a pastry dish making sure its even throughout.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- In a saucepan place the chopped rhubarb, juice of an orange, zest of half an orange, vanilla, ginger and gently bring to boil, stirring continuously 3-4 minutes, turn the heat down and let simmer until the rhubarb has come apart.
- Stir in the honey, ground almond and tapioca/chia.
- Pour into the baked pastry case and sprinkle over the topping.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes.