Ratatouille Cauliflower Bake
My mum was definitely more into baking than cooking, however she did make an amazing ratatouille that made eating vegetables something to look forward to – even as kids. I have taken her original recipe and made it into more of a dinner dish with a comforting cauliflower topping.
Cooks in 45 Minutes
- 1 large red onion peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 large aubergine washed and diced into cubes
- 2 large courgettes washed and diced into chunks
- 1 x tin plum tomatoes
- 2 peppers washed and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- A bunch of cherry tomatoes on the vine washed and stems removed (approx. 20)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt & Pepper to season
- 2 heads of cauliflower washed and cut into florets
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
- Season with salt & pepper
- Optional – add 2-3 tbsp. nutritional yeast for added flavour
- In a large pot over a low-medium heat add the olive oil and onion, place to lid on and sweat for 6-7 minutes until the onion is tender.
- Turn the heat up, add the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Next toss in the peppers, tin of tomatoes, courgette, aubergine, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and thyme. Stir to fold veggies together.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- The veggies should all be tender at this stage. Season well and transfer into a pie dish.
- While the veggies are cooking I suggest making the topping. Steam the cauliflower until tender, roughly 15 minutes.
- Remove and blend with the rest of the topping ingredients including seasoning, until smooth.
- Spoon the topping over the ratatouille base.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200°C until lightly coloured on top and enjoy!