Quinoa Salad With Shredded Chicken
I started making this salad when I lived in cape town a few years ago and it has always been a staple meal in the house, its definitely the lunch/dinner that is most requested when discussing food options, and for a salad that’s saying a lot…. There is a nice mix of crunch, burst and flavour, its great served as a side or perfect as a huge slap up salad with or without the chicken!
Serves 2 large portions
Cooks in Minutes
- 1.1/2 cup quinoa
- 7 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 large cucumber diced into cubes
- 1 red onion diced finely
- 1/2 cup red split lentils
- 100g hazelnuts toasted with skin removed
- 50g pumpkin and sunflower seeds toasted
- 25g fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1/2 small head of raw broccoli chopped
- 75 g feta cheese diced into cubes
- * add chicken – I roasted a whole chicken then teared the meat off the bone adding a little salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp tamari/soya sauce
- 1 tbsp honey/maple
- 1 level tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Juice of a lemon
- tsp sea salt
- Add the quinoa with 2 parts water (3 cups) cover, simmer and cook for approx 15-20 minutes until the germ separates from the seed, drain from any excess water let sit aside until cooled.
- Likewise with the red lentils (one part grain to 2 parts water), bring to boil and let simmer until the lentils have softened. Let cool completely.
- Add the quinoa, lentils and salad ingredients (except chicken) together and stir.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients into a smooth sauce.
- Combine the two leaving a little dressing to drizzle over the top.
- Toss in shredded chicken* optional.