I used to love Moro bars or Boost bars, whatever they’re called now they manage to combine all my favorite textures and flavors in one bar….chewy caramel, crunchy bits, soft truffle inside and of course chocolate! For this recipe I choose to use Sun warrior protein, it works really good here and for the dark chocolate I used the new 90% dark chocolate from Lindt but there are lots of dairy and vegan brands you can pick up in health food stores. These bars are far easier to make than you might think and there is the option to make them in ball version which are a little faster!
- 4 scoops Vanilla Sun warrior protein
- 6 tbsp. Maple syrup( for vegan) or honey
- 8 tbsp. Almond butter
- 1 tbsp. raw Cacao powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp. melted Coconut oil
- 40g Toasted Buckwheat groats – plus extra to garnish
- 10 Medjool dates
- Pinch of Sea salt
- 3 tbsp. Almond milk
- 200g Dark chocolate for coating – for vegan opt for brands like Seed & Bean, Moo-free, Iswari, Lovechock, Aine’s.
- Using a food processor mix in the sun warrior protein, cacao powder, almond butter, essence and maple using until they are fully combined and form a dough consistency.
- Stir in the buckwheat groats.
- Ether roll into balls using your hands or pour mix into a lined baking tin (I used 2 1Ibs bread tins) and press down ensuring the top is even.
- Place in the fridge -while these are setting make the caramel.
- To prepare the caramel layer blend the dates in a food processor until smooth it will be a very thick consistency – add in the sea salt and almond milk mixing again, the caramel will become a little softer and creamier.
- Melt the chocolate in a separate bowl and have ready for dipping.
- Remove the bars after setting about 40 minutes, and cut them length ways about 2 “thick.
- Layer on the caramel using a knife smoothing out the top before dipping in the melted chocolate.
- If you have rolled them into balls cover half of the ball with the caramel layer pressing down with your fingers to make it even and smooth. Drizzle in chocolate.
- Set aside to the fridge to set.
- Store in the fridge for up to 7 days.