Proper Baked Beans
Now these are beans Warhol would approve of, made from scratch they lack the sugar, salt and unnecessary additives which are in our all time favourite tin of beans! With some brands clocking up a whooping 13g of sugar per serving. As a nation its one of the staple foods in our up bringing, convenient and at first glance healthy enough, sure its only beans and some tomato! Lets re-do this wrong and revisit our favourite baked beans.
These are a simple alternative, that are more flavoursome than the traditional and offer a lot more nutrition.
Cooks in Minutes
- 1 small onion- chopped finely
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 6 large vine tomatoes
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 2 tsp pimento/smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp tamari ( gluten free soya sauce)
- 2 tins haricot beans- drained and rinsed
- Half the tomatoes and place on a baking tray, roast in the oven for 25 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan, add the onion and sautée.
- Stir in all the spices and let cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the roasted tomatoes, mustard and tamari/soya sauce, stir.
- Using a powerful blender, i used a nutribullet, make a smooth sauce with the mix.
- Place the sauce back over heat adding in the beans, bring to boil, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- serve with a baked sweet potato and grated cheese/vegan cheese (I used Vbites brand)! Grill for 3 minutes – BLISS
- scrambled eggs & wholemeal toast.