Moist Lemon, Macadamia and Poppy Seed Loaf
I have been dying to try out a lemon cake, growing up my neighbour used to make the best lemon and poppy seed loaf, full of sugar of course but it was mouthwateringly memorable (if thats a word)! I usually like to add in some sort of nut to any of my breads, I think its nice to add a different texture. However I did find that whole macadamia nuts made the bread hard to cut, so I would recommend to finely chopped them!
WARNING; Don’t eat the whole loaf you will feel mildly ill – I will never learn!
Cooks in Minutes
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- zest of two lemons
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup almond milk (unsweetend)
- 1/2 raw / local honey
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder * I got a gluten free one in my supermarket!
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp poppy seeds * which i got in Holland and Barrett
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional) * I would recommend to toast lightly before putting them in the mixture
- Preheat oven 190°C
- Blend all ingredients together using a whisk, aside from the poppy seeds and nuts
- Once they form a smooth creamy texture add in the seeds and nuts
- Pour the mixture into a lined bread tin, and place in the oven for 60-70 minutes *cover with tinfoil after the first 25 minutes when the top is a nice golden colour
- Using a knife or skewer to check if bread is baked right through be patient! – leave aside to cool (very important)
* Optional – spread some honey on top using a knife and sprinkle with desiccant coconut.