Even though the weather is picking up I’m still trying to shift the sniffles and a cough, I wanted to make a chicken curry with all the kick ass ingredients to boost my immune system while still being full of flavour and rich without the creams, milks, sugars, stocks, extra salt … (you wouldn’t believe what they throw in on the sly)! So this is one healthy curry. I used chicken meat from the legs or thigh, its far more flavoursome and theres really not much in the difference nutritionally, also its far cheaper(roughly 1euro per leg/thigh in comparison to 2.95 per breast), go to a good butchers and he will skin and de-bone it for you.
All the spices you can get in most good supermarkets, I got all mine in Dunnes Stores.
*It tastes even better the next day so if you manage to have left overs don’t throw any away!
Cooks in Minutes
- 3 sml garlic pods-minced
- 1” thumb of ginger-grated
- 1 large onion-sliced in rings
- 1 cougette-sliced
- 6 chicken legs/thighs cut off the bone and skinned
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 juice of a lemon
- 1.1/2 tbsp organic tomato puree
- (6) Dried lime leaves- they will be with all the herbs and spices in the supermarket.
- 1 tbsp coconut/olive oil
- *(optional) 1/2 cup of nuts- cashews/or flaked almonds.
- Using a large pot, put coconut or olive oil in, add the onions, garlic and ginger, sautée these until the onions have soften and become golden in colour (10min avg).*Make sure to keep stirring.
- Add in the courgette and all the spices, stir to combine well and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in the chicken, you don’t need to chop it up but can if you want. Stir continuously and let chicken brown , about 5 min.
- Next add in the lemon juice and enough water to just cover the top of the chicken- about 2 -3 cups depending on size of pot.
- Add in the tomato puree, mix well.
- Lastly throw in the lime leaves and let the curry come to boil, then let it simmer on medium heat for roughly an hour until the chicken is cooked through and tender. (mix in nuts if using)
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve on a bed of rice or quinoa!