Moist Apple Upside Down Cake w/ Coconut Cream
An apple sponge is not not just for Christmas but this spiced upside down cake is very fitting for the week that is in it! Its extremely comforting in this cold, wet weather and deliciously dreamy! The coconut cream compliments this very well so I would highly recommend serving it with this or some Coyo (coconut yogurt) however coconut cream is far cheaper!
*I used a deep 15 cm round tin to give the cake its height
Cooks in Minutes
- 250 g almonds ground
- 1 and a half brambly apples
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 eggs
- tbsp baking powder
- tbsp mixed spice
- tsp cinnamon
- vanilla essence
- 1 can refrigerated coconut milk- for at least 4 hours/freezer for 20 minutes
- 1 lime
- 1 fresh vanilla pod
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 190ºC
- Grate half an apple, and chop the other half into small cubes.
- Add all the sponge ingredients (except the grated & chopped apple) into a mixer and blend into a smooth batter, stir in the apple pieces.
- With the other half an apple slice and sprinkle in cinnamon with a little drizzle of honey, place these at the bottom of your LINED round baking tin.
- Pour the batter moisture on top and bake for 50 minutes, cover with tin foil if you feel the top is getting too browned during the 50 minutes.
- Let cool and set aside until fully cooled (=1 hour or so) before turning over and gently peeling off the parchment paper.
- Serve the cake warm.
- Remove the hardened coconut cream from the can, discard the watery part.
- Add in the zest of a lime along with fresh vanilla seeds and the honey.
- Whisk the coconut as you would cream until slightly stiff.