Lentil Aubergine Pie
I’m a little bit in love with aubergine, I have grilled aubergine as a snack and even dessert! I must share that recipe with you. I love making all in one pie dishes for the week ahead and this is the perfect example of one of my go to vegan meal prep recipes.
Serves 4 portions
Cooks in 35 Minutes
- 5 tbsp. oil ( avocado, olive or another cooking oil)
- 2 aubergine sliced length ways thinly
- 2 tins lentils – drained and rinsed really well
- 200 ml veggie stock
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 onion diced finely
- 2 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 6 tbsp. vegan cheese grated (I like to use Sheese) or nutritional yeast works here to without the melting though!
- Preheat the oven at 200°C.
- Start by prepping the aubergine, spread out evenly on a lined baking tray and drizzle over 2 tbsp. of oil. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
- While these are roasting prepare the lentils. In a medium sized saucepan add 1 tbsp. of oil and the onion- over low to medium heat- place h lid on and let the onion sweat for 6 minutes until translucent.
- Add in the garlic, spices and cook for a minute.
- Toss in the lentils, puree and stock and bring to a steady simmer (turn up the heat) – let simmer for 12 minutes.
- Prepare an oven proof dish
- To layer add half of the lentil mix, followed by a layering of aubergine and 3 tbsp. of shredded cheese, repeat this step once more. Finished with a drizzle of oil and set to the oven to bake for 20 minutes at 180°C.