Lentil and Quinoa Falafels
Falafels are my favourite thing to order when I’m out for dinner. They’re so easy to make at home and they’re the perfect filling for a wrap, topping for a salad or just as a snack! Now instead of traditional falafels using chickpeas, I changed mine up for lentils. I used Lifeforce’s red split lentils and their quinoa as my binder for creating a tasty crispy falafel.
To get the falafels nice and crispy without deep frying them I used Lifeforce avocado oil to drizzle over them before baking. I love avocado oil, it’s got a high smoke point which makes it great for cooking at high temperatures. The avocado oil is cold pressed so it retains the highest nutritional values.
This recipe is sponsored by Lifeforce
Serves 12 falafels
Cooks in 30 Minutes
- 2 tbsp. Lifeforce avocado oil
- 200g red split lentils
- 550ml water
- 50g quinoa uncooked
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tbsp. coriander
- ¾ tbsp. paprika
- 1 handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp ground garlic or 1 clove of garlic crushed
- In a small saucepan over a high heat, add the lentils and the water and bring to boil. Once boiling turn the heat down a little and let simmer for 12 minutes until the water has almost disappeared and the lentils are soft (there shouldn’t be any water to drain).
- Pour the lentils into a mixing bowl.
- Add the spices and herbs.
- Prepare the quinoa by blending it into a flour consistency using a Nutri Bullet or blender until smooth and fine.
- Tip the quinoa flour into the bowl and combine. The mix should start to dry up a little.
- The best way to do the next part is with an ice cream scoop to create even and non-sticky hand falafels!
- Drizzle with the avocado oil sprinkle and sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes.