Guest Recipe: Spicy Peanut Butter Curry Sauce & Mint Infused Basmati Rice
This week’s guest blog is from cookinwithcarmel.com Carmel has shared her delicious spicy peanut butter curry sauce and mint infused basmati rice recipe. Enjoy!
Note from Carmel:
This is a really quick curry to put together, with hints of a nutty satay flavor. You probably have all the ingredients in your cupboard! I made my sauce really spicy, but feel free to cut back on the spice for kids or if you want something a little more mellow. The mint infused basmati is a really refreshing contrast to the spicy curry. I used chicken, but for a vegetarian option use whole button mushrooms, a mix of peppers and courgette.
Cooks in 30 Minutes
- 1 onion roughly diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon tumeric
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons buckwheat flour (you can use white, gluten free or wholemeal too if that’s what you have!)
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 heaped tablespoons peanut butter
- Salt and pepper for taste
- In a medium sized pan, sweat the onion and garlic until soft in coconut oil. [Whether you chose to add meat or vegetables, add them at this time]
- Add the spices. Give it a good stir [you’ll want to make sure your chicken or veg is cooked through], and after about a minute, add the flour. Give another good stir, and it will seem a but clumpy, that’s totally normal.
- After about another minute, add the coconut milk and stir stir stir! Bring the mix to the boil, and stir in the peanut butter, season with salt and pepper for taste, and simmer. I left mine to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- For the infused rice, wash and drain rice really well. Measure rice-about 1 cup per person-and put in a saucepan with double the amount of water and a pinch of salt and about 4-5 mint leaves (roughly chopped).
- Simmer for about 12-15 minutes without uncovering. Fluff up with a fork, and garnish with more mint leaves. Serve with your curry!