Fast Vegan Red Lentil Dahl
Meatless Monday sorted with this epic meal prep bowl of comfort food! I love lentils, especially red lentils and I bought all the ingredients for this dish at a steal in the Asian market, so my dinners for the week cost an average of just under €2 (excluding the rice and yogurt). Give this easy recipe a go and don’t forget to tag me in your recreations! P.S. I got the black Venus rice in the health food store (like wild rice) it’s so yummy with a nutty texture. Also, if you haven’t tried plantain get on it, it’s like if a banana and a potato had a love child. I have been a fan since I was in Puerto Rico, I always got mofongo a side dish which plantain was the main ingredient (mashed with garlic, herbs and spices).
Serves Serving 4-5 portions
Cooks in 30 Minutes
- 1 small onions diced finely
- 2 cloves of garlic diced and peeled
- 2”ginger peeled and grated
- 500g red lentils uncooked
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 2.5 tbsp. curry paste (I opt for red here)
- 500ml water
- * 1 red diced chilli depending on how hot your paste is (the brand I usually buy is very hot so I miss the chilli)! I picked up a delicious paste in the Asian market with no added sugars or shrimp paste
- In a large pot over medium heat add 50 ml of the water and the diced onion. Place on the lid and let the onion sweat for 6 minutes until tender and translucent.
- Next add the garlic, ginger (chilli if using) and paste, cook for 1 minute.
- Tip in the lentils and water and turn the heat up and bring to boil, then let simmer (turn heat to medium again) for 20 minutes, until the lentils have bulked up are tender, during this process stir every so often).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk, serve alongside your favourite rice. I suggest diced banana and some yogurt (soy, coconut or almond).
- Serve with brown/Venus black rice, grilled plantain, coconut yogurt, diced chilli & fresh coriander.