Easy Pesto & Egg Shakshuka
This is my not so spicy shakshuka, I like to think of it as the more of an Irish version for our mild palettes but, don’t worry it’s got tones of flavour thanks to our lovely mate, pesto! It’s also the perfect post workout breakie or brunch dish, delivering a nice combination of protein and carbs. Plus, it takes under 20 minutes to whip up, so let’s go!
I will be Bloom Festival with Bord Bia on Friday 2nd June cooking this delicious, nutritious and versatile egg recipe with the O’Donovan brothers. Come to the Quality Kitchen Stage at 11.45am to catch the demo!
This is a sponsored post.
Cooks in 15 Minutes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced finely
- 2 tbsp. pesto
- 4 eggs
- 3 mixed peppers cut into 1.5 cm cubes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 handfuls washed baby spinach leaves
- Fresh chopped herbs such as coriander and parsley
- Prepare a skillet over medium to high heat.
- Add the olive oil. Once sizzling, toss in the onion and cook for 2 minutes stirring to brown every piece.
- Next, add in the spices (cumin and turmeric) and cook for 3 minutes, continually stirring.
- Now you can pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes and mixed peppers and let the pan come to a simmer for 6 minutes.
- Then stir in the spinach leaves.
- Creating four little wells using the back of your spoon in the shakshuka, crack an egg into each. Dollop 2 tablespoons of pesto around them and place the lid on and set to a medium heat and cook for 6-8 minutes depending if you like your eggs runny or not!
- Serve with fresh herbs and season with pepper.