Cherry Pecan Parfait
One of my favourite desserts or simply as a treat in the evening, this Cherry Pecan Parfait is devine! Not only are they absolutely delicious but they are the perfect dessert for entertaining. I make the layers in advance and store them separately in tuberware then all you have to do just before serving is assemble… simple! For a dairy free/vegan option opt for coconut yogurt.
Serves 4 portions
Cooks in 25 Minutes
Pecan crumble layer
- 100g pecans broken into chunks
- 125g ground almond
- 2 tbsp. maple
- pinch sea salt
- 300g frozen cherries
- 2 tbsp. maple
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 8 dollops of Greek yogurt (or coconut yoghurt for vegan option)
- Preheated oven at 200°C.
- Start by prepping the pecan layer. In a mixing bowl mix all the pecan layer together, tip it out onto a lined baking tray and toast for 14 minutes, tossing intermitted to ensure even colouring until lightly browned.
- While this is toasting make the cherry sauce, add the frozen cherries into a saucepan over medium heat, add all the other ingredients for the sauce and bring the pot to a gentle simmer and stir.
- Cook for 8 minutes until the cherries have wilted (some dissolved), place to pot to one side off the heat.
- Now you can layer the parfaits, if you’re going to eat them then and there however if you are prepping them for dinner I recommend keeping all layers separate until ready to eat (this ensures the jar has visible layers and keep the pecan crunch from going soft)
- I make the layers in advance of dinner and store each section in lunch boxes or zip lock bags (once they’ve cooled) and simply just before dessert I spoon the layers into jars or glasses and serve!
For the ultimate ratio of crunch, smooth, sweet and sour when layering here are my serving suggestions per jar:
- 2 tbsp. of cherry sauce
- 2 tbsp. of Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. of pecan crumble
- 1 tbsp. cherry sauce
- 1 dollop of yogurt
- 1 tbsp. of pecan crumble