Blackberry & Orange Scones
Blackberries are growing at an uncontrollable rate this time of year so find our nearest hedge and start planning your blackberry desserts,pick extra and freeze them so you can extend the love affair! As you know … Im a huge scone lover, the bread like consistency and sweetness is my perfect match! These are so could reheated with a little chia berry jam or some nut butter! Store in an airtight container once fully cooled… we don’t want soggy scones!
Serves 5 scones
Cooks in Minutes
- 110g wholemeal spelt
- 100g Steel cut oats
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 orange
- 150g Frozen Blackberries, fresh ones work too but get seriously messy!
- 10 Medjool dates pitted
- 1/2 tbsp Baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- tsp vanilla essence or almond essence
- Optional – 25g chopped nuts for a little bit of bite
- 20G Crushed walnuts
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180º
- First place the oats into a food processor and blend into a flour.
- Tip into a large mixing bowl along with the spelt flour and combine with the baking soda.
- With the medjool dates add them to a food processor or nutribullet along with the orange juice and blend until smooth, about 60 seconds for do this! Try not have any date chunks! Stir in a pinch of sea salt and orange zest to this date mix using a spoon.
- Next combine the date paste with the flours, using a spoon or your hands until they are full mixed and form a dough.
- Lastly gently fold in the blackberries with a spoon or delicately with your hands!
- Taking sections form a scone shape and place onto a lined or a non stick baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the topping if using and press lightly using the tips of your fingers. Place in the oven and Bake for 25 minutes, Let coolfor 5-10 minutes on a wire rack before digging in!