Best Vegan Banana Bread
Banana bread, will we ever get sick of that classic combo? the answer, NO! This simple recipe is fool proof and when you make it once you’ll be able to make it with your eyes closed, its pretty much an all in one mix requiring very little prep or equipment!
Plus, I’m using oats as the main flour here – full of fibre, cheap, accessible and Irish! This bread is so delicious even without any toppings, but I have to say its pretty damn good with some chia jam and Coyo (coconut yogurt) dolloped on top – just say’n! See below for storage and freezing instructions.
Serves 1 Loaf
Cooks in 60 Minutes
- 2 bananas mashed
- 1 chia egg (tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water. Let sit for 15-20 minutes to soak)
- 2 tbsp. maple or honey if you want (not vegan)
- 120g oats
- 125g hazelnuts
- 100g almonds
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. olive oil you can use rapseed oil here too or coconut oil (melted)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the oats and nuts in a food processor or blender (Nutri Bullet works here too) and blitz into a flour texture.
- Tip the flour into a large mixing bowl, add the chia egg, baking powder, banana, almond milk spices and olive oil. Basically all other ingredients! and using a spoon stir to combine.
- The dough should be thick and heavy and slightly wet. Spoon the mix into a greased or lined 1lb bread tin and bake for 1 hour at 180°C, covering with tin foil after the first 35 minutes to protect the top from burning too much.
- Let the bread cool fully (1-2 hours) before digging in! I slice mine into portions and separate into zip lock bags (perfect for freezing if its not going to be eating in 4-5 days).
- The bread lasts 5 days if kept in an airtight container and up to a week if stored in the fridge.
- Although from experience it may only last 1-2 days!