All in one Chicken and Kale Pot
This is a no brainer meal, cost effective and the perfect meal for feeding a few mouths. I use the chicken thigh/legs here as they are just far more flavorsome and nutritional not hugely different to the breast, they are also far cheaper! I get mine in Fallon and Byrne, the butcher skins and halves them for me which I am sure you can ask in any good butcher. You get a large amount of meat from each leg, and cooked like this off the bone it gives a far more satisfying meal. I served my hot pot with some bulgur, I use bulgur a lot as its just so easy to cook, or not cook- it doesn’t really involve much work! To prepare your bulgur all you must do is place the desired amount into a heat proof bowl, add enough boiling water to just cover the top of the bulgur, give a quick stir and place a lid on top. After 20 minutes the bulgur will have absorbed all the water, lastly give a fluff up using a fork and its ready, simples!
Perfect for tomorrow’s dinner, store in an airtight container once cooled and keep refrigerated!
Cooks in Minutes
- 1 brown onion cut into rings
- 6 large chicken thighs- skin removed and cut in two.
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 celery sticks diced
- 8 large vine tomatoes chopped up finely
- 1 tbsp balsamic cider vinegar-Llewellyns
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves pulled from sprigs
- 20g fresh parsley Chopped
- 3 bay Leaves
- 2 large carrots diced
- 80g curly kale chopped roughly
- 500ml chicken stock
- In a large saucepan with a tbsp of olive oil brown of the chicken thighs, remove from the saucepan and place to one side until ready to use.
- Clean the saucepan and return it to medium heat, with a tbsp of olive oil, add the onions, stirring and cooking for 4-5 minutes until almost translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery, balsamic and herbs, cooker a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and their juice, TURN heat up to high and stir continuously for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Place back in the chicken legs and pour in the stock, bring to boil before lowering to a gentle simmer.
- Place the lid on and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, toss in the carrots and kale,giving a good stir. Simmer for a further 15 minutes.