Simple Crunchy Peanut Butter
Whether you prefer smooth or crunchy, making your own peanut butter is easy and it tastes unreal. I like my peanut butter with a bit of crunch but if you prefer smooth, skip the steps where I keep some peanuts to the side for added crunch.
Serves 1 large jar
Cooks in 30 Minutes
• 400g peanuts (skinless is best)
• Large pinch of sea salt
• Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
• Toss the peanuts onto a flat baking tray and scatter.
• Place into the oven and roast for 15-18 minutes until golden coloured. Toss the peanuts 2 or 3 times during this process.
• Let the roasted nuts cool for 10 minutes.
• Using a high-powered food processor like a Vitamix, Thermomix or Kenwood, add the 3 quarters of the nuts and a large pinch of salt (if using a Kenwood, you may need to do this in 2 sections).
• Keep ¼ of the nuts aside for added crunch.
• Blend the nuts in the food processor for anywhere between 5-6 minutes (depending on the food processor you use) you’ll have to scrap down the sides every 2-3 minutes. Blend until smooth and creamy, this takes a while, but it does happen so have patience.
• With the left-over nuts break these up using a pestle and mortar.
• Stir in the crunchy bits and spoon into a sealed jar for up to 14 days.