Raspberry, Almond & Orange Jam
I love proper homemade jams, not just for complimenting breads but great to add to porridge or on top of rice crackers. However have you ever checked the back of a jam jar? Yep, sugar is top of the ingredients list along with suspicious gelling agents and weird preserving additives! So I took it upon myself to make the alternative jam, I used honey as a sweetener, and with the fruit itself giving such a sweet taste i only had to use a little. I turned to the japanese gelling agent agar flakes as my setting ingredient, its plant based and easy to work with. It is available in health food stores, The jar lasts in the fridge for 3 weeks, its the only downside to not having all those preserving extras!
* great with peanut butter
Cooks in Minutes
- 1 large jar* 2 small
- 1.2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cups raspberry (approx 350g)
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 3 tbsp maple/honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp agar flakes
- Place juice and raspberries in a saucepan on very low heat and let simmer until the raspberries dissolves into a liquid, stirring constantly. (approx 8-10minutes)
- Add in the essence and chia seeds, stir.
- Now add the agar flakes, turn the heat up and bring to boil, once boiling lower the heat , keep stirring for 3 -5 minutes. this dissolves the agar flakes and gives the jam its jelly form!
- Now place in your jar and pop in the fridge, let set overnight.