You’re in for a treat with these delicious vegan pecan caramel squares. This is a dangerous dessert, don’t eat the whole tray if you can, perfect to make for friends and family. It’s rich, decadent and so extra! This one would be great for Christmas too. 😄
- 300g oats
- 100g coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 250g pitted dates- I used deglet noir dates (the cheaper ones) soaked for 20 minutes in boiling water you can also use medjool dates (they don’t need to be soaked)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 50g coconut oil
- 200g pecans
- 4 tbsp. maple syrup
- In a food processor combine all the base layer ingredients and blend until a dough forms. Spoon this mix into a lined square tin and even out on top using your fingertips or the back of a spoon/spatula.
- For the caramel layer start by melting the coconut oil. Add the soaked and drained dates into the food processor along with the melted coconut oil and vanilla, blend until smooth (there will be tiny bits of dates visible but overall the texture should be smooth and thick).
- Tip this caramel mix over the oat base and spread out evenly.
- Next for the pecan topping you have two options
- Option 1; in a non stick frying pan over a high heat add the pecans and toast them for 2-3 minutes- stirring to brown them evenly. Pour over the maple and mix the pecans in the syrup, keep stirring over a high heat for another 3 minutes. Remove and pour the maple pecans and any syrup over the caramel layers and spread out evenly. Place in the fridge or freezer until the top to set and hardened (takes approx. 15 min) Options 2: Preheat oven 200°C. In a bowl combine the pecans and maple covering them in all the syrup. Place them on a flat baking tray and spread out evenly. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden browned and crunchy. Pour over the caramel topping and place in the freezer or fridge to cool and set.
- Note: wait 5 minutes after removing from the fridge to cut and use a bread knife to cut!