There was a time I used to hate peanut butter and couldn’t understand why my American cousins when they came to visit had to bring jars of it just for their holiday, they were addicted! After years of uncertainty, I found myself surrounded by it when I moved to new york, after being convinced to give it a go I found myself craving it and since then I have been a pea’nutter’, when it comes to peanut butter its hard to find brands that are whole and natural, unlike other nuts. So I recommend doing it yourself, unlike other nuts peanuts are a little softer to break down so you don’t need to go out and blow hundreds on a high power food processor they have special peanut butter machines available now for around the 60e mark so if your serious about your peanut butter and don’t have a powerful food processor maybe put this on your Christmas list.
CARAMEL PEANUT SPREAD *Makes 2 jars
- 500g peanuts
- 4 medjool dates pitted
- * pinch of sea salt optional
- Toast the peanuts at 200ºC for 11 minutes tossing after 6 minutes.
- Place them in a high power food processor and blend for 6-8 minutes, stopping in-between to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Once smooth and creamy texture has been created add in the medjool dates and blend for a minute or until fully broken-down and untraceable.
- I was blending for a good 12-15 minutes so keep at it!
CHOCOLATE PEANUT SPREAD *Makes 1 jar
- 2 cups peanuts skinless & roasted
- 1.1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener, I used coconut nectar
- Same method applies as above. Add in the cacao & sweetener once your peanuts are ground into a nice creamy spread.
ROASTED MAPLE & CINNAMON PEANUT BUTTER
- 500g peanuts skinless
- 3 tbsp maple
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven 200
- Pour the maple over the peanuts and mix well until they are all cover. Sprinkle over the cinnamon powder and stir.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 11 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Let cool. Using a food processor blend on full power until smooth (12-15 minutes) scrapping down the sides as you need.