This is my go to quick dinner fix, its easy, delicious and satisfying. I was inspired to make this dish from all my Indonesian travels over Christmas and once I was back I made it everyday I missed it so much. The beauty of this dish is that you can make it to suit you. I have used tofu in this recipe but you can make it with whatever protein source you like or keep the tofu and ditch the egg for a yummy vegan dinner. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do, if you make it once you’ll make it over and over again- I promise!
- 50 ml water or 2 tbsp oil
- 250g cooked rice
- 2 carrots peeled grated thick
- 1/4 head of cabbage diced
- 2-3 tbsp soya or tamari
- 1 ”ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tsp sambal oelek ( cayenne paste)
- 1 tbsp curry paste( I use yellow- shrimp free)
- 250g tofu ( organic GMO free) crumbled into pieces
- Juice of 1 lime ( Don’t leave out makes some difference)
- 2 eggs cooked -fried here(optional)
- Handful spring onions diced
- 2 Handfuls roasted peanuts crushed
- Drizzle of sriracha
- More lime
- In a deep frying pan over high heat add the water, ginger, sambal and paste and combine into a paste.
- Toss in the shredded carrots, cabbage and stir to combine all the flavours. Let cook for 2 minutes until the cabbage is wilted.
- Toss in the tofu, tamari and cook until tofu is hot.
- Add the rice stirring to marry all the flavours and cook for 2-3 minutes( careful not to let the bottom burn)
- Turn off the heat drizzle over the lime and mix.
- Divide onto two plates – top with a fried egg, spring onion, peanuts and for some extra spice sriracha!