I know what your thinking, what the hell is Quinola, don’t worry it is a made up word. If like me you love your cereals and crave a bowl of fresh milk and a bit of sweet crunch then look no further than this health granola made of Quinoa! I have always been fond of making an oat granola and avoid buying granolas in shops, they are usually fleeced with sugars and stuff you just don’t need and nothing compares to fresh made granola! I heard of quinoa flakes a while ago and thought they might be a good substitute for oats, and honestly I haven’t really made oat granola since, they have a little more crunch and I find are a lot easier to digest.
*Makes one serving
*My choice; cocoa nibs, goji berries, chopped almonds, finely chopped dried dates…. And mulberries are a must for me they’re like chewy bits if caramel! But honestly these are always in my press anyway,so check what’s in yours to see what you can work with!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey or maple
- cap full of Vanilla essence melt
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 3 tbsp flaxseed whole
- Handful chopped nuts/seeds(optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Dried fruit (optional)
IDEAS FOR EXTRAS
- desiccant coconuts
- cocoa nibs
- goji berries
- dried dates
- dried apricots
- chia seeds
- Melt the oil, honey and vanilla together in the microwave( about 30 sec).
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Add in the quinoa flakes and the flaxseed, mix well.
- If you are using chopped nuts, toss them in now and spread the mix out onto a baking tray.
- Bake 6-10 minutes, keep a close eye on it and make sure you shake the tray to make sure it all gets toasted nicely.When the flakes all look golden brown remove from oven and let cool.
- Add your chopped dried fruit now or other extras you like!Dont forget a pinch of sea Salt!