So a lot of you had asked for me to put up quick easy snacks that I could recommend to stop the sugar cravings and lets be honest aren’t massively awkward to eat in public and more importantly don’t send off a horrendous ouder the second you open your tuber ware!
These are a few Different types of snacks to get your tastebuds tingling and satisfy your need to nibble!! N.B these are snacks not full meals!
SWEET &SALTY BIRD FOOD – I called it this as when posting it to instagram some smart arse referred to it as bird food, however i can assure you it tastes a lot better!
Quantities are optional depending on how much you want to make or if you like more seeds, coconuts, fruit etc.
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds ( or alternatively a good seed mix)
- tamari sauce ( gluten free soya sauce)or soya sauce (braggs amino sauce)- both available in health stores.
- optional – chopped dried dates
- goji berries
- chopped dried apricot
- cocoa nibs- available in health stores like holland & Barratt, nourish etc.
- Shredded coconut- Unsulphured if possible( i found this in down to earth on Georges street).
- pinch of sea salt!
- Firstly I toasted sunflower seeds, flaxseed, linseed, sesame pumpkin- (you can get great mixed seeds bags from tesco)
- After 5 minutes of toasting I drizzled on a little amino acid soya sauce (braggs) and mixed it around to add some great flavour.
- Toast for a further 2-3 minutes.
- After leaving it cool down I added some chopped dates, cocoa nibs & unsulphurated coconut
Its a sweet & salty combination!
I have some varieties example sometimes if I am in a rush I don’t toast the seeds and add more dried fruit like chopped apricots, mangos & a pinch of sea salt !
My next favourite snack is PEANUT BUTTER OAT SQUARES.
possible not as healthy for you than the previous but better than grabbing a bar or pack of crisps!
- Preheat oven to 200 C
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp peanut butter smooth or crunchy
- 1 tbsp agave / honey (melt together over very low heat.)
- Bananas 3-4
- Oats 3-4 cups (gluten free or regular)
- Roasted peanuts amount is optional depending on how much you like a crunch!
- Remove the heated coconut oil, agave and peanut butter when melted and mix in the mashed bananas (3-4) and crushed peanuts-I
usually use a cup of roasted peanuts.
- Mix together with 3 1/2 cups of oats until the mixture is paste like, add more oats if still too runny!
- Place in a lined wide tin and bake for roughly 20 minutes until golden brown on top .
- Leave aside for a further 20 to cool down before cutting cause they’re nice and gooey and if you cut them too early they’ll just be wet and soggy!
This recipe is a little bit winged so hope it works for you! I will warn you they are addictive and seriously delicious!
It’s all in the caramel like TAHINI DIP
This is a bit more of a cliche healthy snack but its the dip that makes the difference
Match stick carrots, cucumber, celery…. whatever your into!
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp agave
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp tamara sauce/soya
- small squeeze of lemon juice.
MINI POWER COOKIES!
These mini cookies are gluten, nut and wheat free!
- unsulphurated coconut
- sesame seeds
- medjool dates
Put them all into a food processor and mould into little cookies! no baking involved! they’re delicious!
For those that like this recipe but want a different flavour, walnuts are a good alternative for the sesame seeds, I prefer it this way too ! Dont forget to try little changes like sometimes i will use a few drops of almond essence or some vanilla seeds to add extra flavour!