My favourite porridge is a comforting bowl combining some simple but delicious toppings! I know porridge is a typical breakfast dish but nothing screams comfort to me like a bowl of oats so I often have it after a long day of work when I need a pick me up or just as a after workout dinner.
- 40g oats
- 250ml unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 egg whites
- pinch sea salt
- 2 handfuls frozen berries
- 1-2 tsp honey or maple
- 1-2 squares dark chocolate (optional)
- 1 tbsp. toasted flaked almonds for crunch (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat add the nut milk, oats and salt.
- Cook as you usually would make porridge stirring until the consistency is kind of “stodgy”.
- Remove from the heat and working quickly whisk in the egg whites using a fork stirring constantly until the oats turn creamy and expand a little with no trace of eggy bits.
- For the toppings heat the berries and cook until dissolved, remove form the heat and stir in the honey. Pour over the oats and top off with the dark chocolate & stir and enjoy!