Like sweet puffs of air meringues are the ideal summer dessert, pretty low in calories they are actually a nice alternative if your craving something sweet and satisfying!
The only down side to this recipe is the time….. they do like to take their time baking, 2 hours in fact! Growing up we had an Aga, which are actually perfect for making meringues but seriously it felt like waiting for summer in I Ireland … forever! But don’t let that turn you off this, choose a day you will be at home for a few hours, a weekend treat! I’ve used stevia for this recipe so is a very low calorie dessert, you can also opt for greek yogurt instead of coconut!
FOLLOW THE RECIPE PRECISELY, meringues are not one of those recipes you can wing!
- 5 egg whites
- 3 level tbsp powdered stevia – I used Dr.Coys
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 level tbsp arrowroot powder
- Coconut yogurt or greek yogurt
- 125G Fresh berries
- 25g Toasted pistachio
- Fresh chopped mint – optional
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Place the egg whites, arrowroot and cider in a mixing bowl and whisk until the eggs whites form soft peaks.
- Add the stevia 1 tbsp at a time while whisking. Keep whisking until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Prepare the baking trays with greaseproof paper, you can simple spoon freeform (making small wells) onto the trays or pipe the meringue mixture to form nests.
- Turn the oven down to 100°C
- Place in the meringues and let bake for 2 hours. No peaking, it will just dropping the temperature every time you do!
- Turn off the oven and let them sit for a further 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove and carefully lift from the sheet, using a spatula if needed.
- Spoon in the yogurt and garnish with fresh berries and toasted nuts.