What I love to make in the kitchen are recreations of my favourite meals growing up that aren’t so waist line friendly and offer those watching they’re diets-wether its for health, sport or simply personal reasons a wider range of options when it comes to dinner, to make their journey that bit easier. Don’t be afraid by the full fat greek yogurt I am sure most of you are aware my now that fearing fat is not the answer, and to avoid low fat, skimmed products when possible. There is an option in the recipe to make your own tomato sauce base which I would highly recommend, or if buying in the shop go for the passata in the glass jar buy a good quality brand with little or no additives. This is a meal high in protein, fats and good low density carbs (courgette).
- 2 courgettes
- 250g greek yogurt
- 75g parmesan (50g for sauce, 25 to garnish)
- 1 pound turkey breast mince
- Roast – 4 large vine tomatoes, 2 red peppers, 12 cherry tomatoes or alternatively buy 600g passata in a glass
- 20g fresh basil leaves
- 1.1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 large brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven 180ºC
- Peel the courgette thinly like reference picture, sprinkle some Himalayan/sea salt on the courgette and let sit aside while you prepare the rest.
- In a deep saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in a little coconut oil for about 10 minutes until soft & slightly browned. Stir in the spices and herbs and cook for a further 5 minutes lowering the heat.
- Add in the roasted tomatoes/passata and bring back to boil. remove and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend into a smooth sauce.
- In a pan cook the minced turkey.
- Stir in your tomato sauce and pour into your baking dish.
- Prepare your cream sauce by mixing the yogurt and grated cheese together.
- Place down the first layer of sliced courgette, then spread the cheese yogurt cover- repeat until all are finished.Sprinkle the left over parmesan on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.