So, I decided to make one of my parent’s favourites soups, Cucumber, which we used to love growing up, but this recipe is with a twist to suit their now plant-based trial. Cucumber soup is usually made with a roux sauce base (that was the way my aunt made it) so I made an epic roux without butter or milk! I hope you try this recipe out. I also really recommend getting nutritional yeast (Engevita yeast flakes Mari gold brand). This adds lots of flavour and it’s amazing if you’re looking to add more flavour to vegan soups and sauces! A big tub is approx. €3-4 and lasts ages!
- 2 cucumbers washed and diced (skin on)
- 1 brown onion peeled and diced
- 800 ml veggie stock
- Salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil or vegan butter
- 4 tbsp. oat flour or buckwheat works here too
- 300 ml oat milk or almond milk
- 4 tbsp. nutrition yeast
- Ok let’s start by making the roux sauce (it’s easy don’t worry). Add the coconut oil or butter to a saucepan over medium heat. Once melted add the flour and stir (into a dry-ish paste). Add the milk little by little. Start by adding 50 ml and stir into a paste then another 50 ml and stir (I use a fork or whisk) and keeping doing this at intervals keeping the sauce smooth (it thickens very fast) using a handheld non- electric whisk is best and easiest to ensure a smooth sauce. Once the milk is all used lower the heat and keep stirring until it’s a smooth and slightly thick sauce. Place to one side until ready to use. Making the roux takes about 5-7 mins.
- In a large sauce pan add a little water, then the onion over medium heat and let sweat with the lid on for 5-6 minutes until wilted.
- Next toss in the cucumber and pour in the stock. Bring to boil and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the cucumber is soft.
- Scrape in the roux sauce (get every little bit) season well with salt and pepper then blitz using a handheld blender or food processor until completely silky and smooth! It’s so tasty and light! Perfect for dunking some bread in (I had mine with some sprouted oat bread I picked up to try) it’s nice, strange texture so may not be for everyone!