Need a quick and simple lunch box filler for the 3pm slump? Or a new post workout snack? These Coconut Trek Bars are just what you need. Easy to make, only a few tasty ingredients and perfect for meal prep. If you’ve every tried Trek bars these taste just like them but even nicer. Let me know if you try them out.
- 400g Oats
- 150g Desiccated coconut
- 50g Buckwheat groats (optional for crunch)
- 10 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 340g Honey/Maple Syrup
- 100g Vanilla Protein Powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp. Vanilla essence
- 250g Dark chocolate (I used Dr.Coys coconut bars (7 x35g bars))
- Place the oats, desiccated coconut and buckwheat groats on a flat tray and toast in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly golden (toss after 7 minutes to evenly toast).
- Tip into a large mixing bowl once toasted and stir in the protein powder.
- In a saucepan combine the coconut oil, honey (or maple) over medium heat and melt.
- Stir in the salt and vanilla essence.
- Once melted, pour over the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine them all together ensuring all the oats are covered in the coconut and honey sauce.
Spoon the mix onto a lined (line with some parchment paper) brownie tin (or a 3 bread tins will work too) and press down to even out the top.
- Pour over the melted chocolate and spread to fully cover.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove and wait 10 minutes before slicing (so the chocolate topping doesn’t crack when you slice!).
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It also can be stored in the freezer.