I love making different flavour protein bar recipes that are easy, satisfying and actually clean. There are multiple protein bar brands out there but rarely do you know all of the ingredients and sometimes they are just too good to be true…they are so accessible and convenient but if you have trust issues like me…let me show you how to make a delicious bar for on the go and importantly one that does the job – filling and fuelling!
By the way these some how taste like aero mint bars, I picked up spearmint essence from the baking section of a supermarket you can get organic brands and this type of essence is available in most health stores too.
- 250g Desiccated Coconut
- 4 tbsp. Cashew butter
- 6 tbsp. Coconut oil
- 4 tbsp. Maple
- 3 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1 tsp. Mint/spearmint essence
- pinch of sea salt
- 150g dark chocolate for coating (vegan and dairy free options- Seed & Bean, Moo-free, Iswari, Lovechock, Aine’s)
- In a food processor add in the protein powder, sea salt and desiccated coconut.
- In a saucepan over low heat add in the coconut oil, once melted spoon in the cashew butter and maple stirring to combine until melted with no separation.
- Remove from heat and stir in the essence.
- Pour in the liquid over the dry ingredients and combine well in the mixer.
- Prepare a tin or dish with some parchment paper ( I used 2 bread tins)
- Pour the mix into a tin and press down evenly keeping the depth 1.5 “thick.
- Once spread evenly place in the fridge for 40 minutes to harden.
- Remove and cut length ways (2”) into bars.
- Melt THE CHOCOLATE using a bain- marie technique or be a daredevil and use the microwave J
- Dip each bar in the melted dark chocolate or drizzle with several coats.
- Place in the fridge once more to set.
- Storage Keep in the fridge in an airtight container/tuber ware.
- Suitable to wrap in parchment/or foil and carry in your bag all day with melting or crumbling apart.