Trick someone into getting one of their five a day with these brownies – they’ll never guess the secret ingredient. These keep great if stored in the fridge for up to 6 days. Also they are amazing if heated up for 1 minutes with a little coconut yogurt.
Paleo, Gluten free
- 250g beetroot peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 eggs
- 80g raw honey or maple
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of sea salt
- 130g ground almonds
- 200g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces, plus a few extra squares for serving
- 70g coconut oil
- 50g chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 8″ square brownie tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Put the beetroot, eggs, honey, cacao powder, baking powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt into a blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add the ground almonds and briefly blend again just to combine.
- Melt the chocolate and oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add to the batter. along with the hazelnuts and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes. When you insert a skewer into the centre and it comes out clean, you’re good to go.
- Remove from the oven and immediately put a few extra squares of chocolate on top. Let them melt from the heat and sprinkle some chopped toasted hazelnuts on top too if you like. Set aside to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before lifting the brownies out of the tin, pulling the paper away and cutting into squares