My favourite recipe chickpea scramble meets my other favourite kind of breakfast – shakshuka. This is so yum especially if you guys already love the chickpea scramble this just adds so much extra flavour without adding too much time, I swear! If you are new to natural born feeder you may be wondering about nutritional yeast, it’s a simple in active yeast that you can pick up in most stores/health food and supermarkets that is a great supplement to add to a vegan dish in order to give it a cheesy flavour – have I sold it to you yet? If not, it’s also pretty cheap. A tub is about €4 and it lasts months- unless you’re making chickpea scramble every day – in that case maybe just 1 month! Anyway, I hope you love this recipe and once again thanks for visiting my site J
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 3-4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp cayenne- optional
- 1 tsp turmeric –optional
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 pepper diced very finely as you want it to cook fast
- ½ red onion sliced finely
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Fresh herbs to garnish like coriander/parley/mint and some ripe avocado chunks
- In a small bowl combine the spices.
- Using a frying pan (high rise so nothing spills) add the first 1 tbsp. of oil and the chickpeas over medium to high heat. Mash the chickpeas using a fork or potato masher leaving a few half mashed and visible.
- Next ,tip in ½ of the spice mixture and all of the nutritional yeast stirring and cooking for 2 minutes- remove from the heat and place the chickpea scramble onto a plate or in a bowl & to one side.
- Put the frying pan back over the hob on high heat and add the last 1 tbsp. of oil and the diced onion, fry for 2-3 minutes until golden and soft, toss in the garlic, peppers and the rest of the spices stirring for a 2-3 minute. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and let the sauce come to a boil. Turn the heat off and make 3 wells using a spoon or spatula.
- Spoon in the chickpea scramble in sections garnish with fresh herbs and avocado – and serve it up.